If you’re interested in the company of dynamic and intelligent women, we have a wonderful group for you! We are always interested in new people and ideas. We serve all of Tigard, Tualatin, King City and Sherwood , as well as Beaverton, SW Portland, Newberg, McMinnville, and Wilsonville. Our monthly general meetings are on Tuesday evening. They feature interesting speakers and are free and always open to the public and to potential members. Smaller gatherings of interest groups occur throughout the month.
Topics of our meetings are varied, ranging from current political topics to social issues and so much more. As AAUW members, we of course stress situations that involve women. These topics are the result of our brainstorming together, and we always welcome new suggestions. See if these intrigue you:
- Human Trafficking;
- Race Relations — Awareness of “White Privilege”;
- Earthquakes and Tsunamis in Oregon;
- Current Education Issues
- Research in Women’s Health
- Involving Women and Girls in STEM (science, technology, engineering and math)
We actively support national AAUW programs by raising awareness of Public Policy Issues and by fundraising for AAUW Funds, which awards fellowships and grants. Our branch also awards a scholarship to a woman who attends Portland Community College in preparation for a 4-year degree. In December, we insure that our donations make for a happy holiday for a family in need.
MEMBER SPECIAL INTEREST GROUPS
Our mission of advancement for women is a priority for our branch. We offer fellowship, networking, and the opportunity to make lifelong friends. Our interest groups include:
- Book Discussion
- Lunch Bunch
- NW Discoveries: Excursions that are sometimes off the beaten track. In addition to known Portland attractions such as the Art Museum and the Rose Garden, we have explored more eclectic interests, such as going behind the scenes with a judge or learning how to decorate a cake. Usually a docent or instructor brings our subject to life; then we talk about our experiences over lunch.
For more information about our branch and how to join, contact: Membership Vice President:
Dianne Kaepplinger 503-998-5683